Monday, October 14, 2013

Age is never a limit

Few years ago, I been to some area near Al-Karak in an exploration trip -as I prefer to call it- to find a new canyon -was new for me and still not well known for mass hiking groups- with one of the local guides in the area. Early in the morning we prepared our gear, Ropes, helmets, etc... since the Canyon supposed to have 3 abseils

Before we head off, he told me we need to wait, his friend is going to join us, few minutes later an old man appeared, all grey hair, without any teeth in his mouth, he was 68 old then, it came to my mind is that the friend we are waiting for!! and the surprise was yes.

He had his own backpack and harness which he made himself. With all the walking, climbing up and going down he only needed two breaks, one for a cigarette and the other for making tea.

I wont talk about safety in the picture, we tried to convince him, but he wasn't interested in it. :)

5 comments:

  1. I agree - I'm 71 and do canyoning, look for my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/Canyoningwolf and my pics https://plus.google.com/photos/117050329590913200687/albums?banner=pwa enough is not enough !
    canyonwolf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend, I would love to be able to do what you are doing one day :) all respect.

      Delete
  2. The older we grow the wilder we get !!
    awesome article Osama .. well done !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Monther, I found this photo in my old stash and wanted to share it with all :) hope the guy is still well :)

    ReplyDelete